At the outset, thanks to AirTel - India ISP provider for offering it's Platinum Members Free Membership for 1 year, which I actually encountered by 'Chance'! Initially, no payments or subscriptions were required since I was a AirTel’s Premium Member, except for buying the Tool Kits, which was very much affordable at that point of time. - A year back, somewhere around June 2019.
Frankly speaking, I was never aware of any such Online Shaw Academy though I was aware of few existing ones, the popular ones in their respective domain(s).
Earnestly jumped into the fray my most desired | favoured courses. I was indeed contemplating to undertake from other Online Institutes that I earmarked and identified after doing the necessary research about them. But Shaw Academy (SA) turned out to be more economical than those Globally reputed Institutes that I had identified, also the advantage of Online, Free Scheduling - Time & Week | 2 Classes per week made it more attractive proposition.
Gladly I started my journey with (1) Social Media Marketing, after attending for a week on to my classes on SMM, added Digital Marketing since there is an overlapping and commonality between the two. It was easy to understand and whatever was missing in one was actively compensated by the other. Additionally, opted for ‘Leadership & Management’, since that's what I basically endured and practised as an avid professional for more than three decades in Healthcare industry. That made my fruitful engagement for the entire week.
At some point of time I even completed English, Blogging & Content Writing, and a few 'On Demand’ classes too.
‘Why’ or ‘What’ made ‘Me’ decide to opt for so many lessons:)
(1) I was reasonably aware that I have 365 days of Free Access and I can learn to Up-skill myself whatever possible. Knowledge can never go waste, it remains with you forever! And in today’s transformational world one can never guess which talent or knowledge would be required and can act as an precursor adding to your future endeavour. Hence ‘Learn – Unlearn - & Relearn’ constantly is my dictum and motto!
(2) For all the good reasons the course overview as far as basics are concerned, was far better than expected. At least, you & me are made aware of all the basic components and then if one is interested, may go further refreshing or even towards more Advanced level, which I did.
(3) What better choice does one has to learn under One roof numerous subjects of personal choice and interest!
(4) Most of the Educators are Extremely good, with special mention of Caitlin Hogg for all Marketing related and Christopher MacNulty for Leadership & Management.
(5) I am made to understand that the ‘Graphic Design’ course is one of the most highly rated and it’s Educator too is extremely knowledgeable.
(6) Well I do acknowledge that not even a single course I undertook are factually Online, mostly recorded, but you get that feeling that you are ‘Actively Online’ and moreover, mostly get to interact with the ‘Bot’, which often is not able to answer most of the questions one has. Redirects it to the email, which unfortunately, till date I could never get an response directly from any of the favourite Educator.
(7) What is important is the personal “Engagement”! Even though we understand that it’s not Virtual Reality, let’s accept, with a pinch of salt.
(8) Sending constant emails has its own advantage – it’s a constant reminder to us, and this conditions our mind and sets a routine, that we are supposed to attend our classes, like our College | University days. If anyone of us really think that it’s a constant annoyance by bombarding with number of mails that fills our inbox, then simply stop looking at it and go and delete or place it in Junk Box. If done repeatedly 3 -5 times it will thereafter start going directly to the ‘Junk’, automatically. Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning in particular (AIML comes into play).
(9) Resources like The Tool Kits, Bonus Lessons, Lecture Slides, Class Notes, Quizzes and Module Assignments are all extremely beneficial. The recordings help to go again and again, revise repeatedly. As if an readymade E-Book for us.
(10) For E-Certificates in my personal capacity and opinion, I shall opt only the Final – Advanced ones, else with the recent increase in their Diploma E-Certificates it’s become quite ‘Expensive’, if not unaffordable!
(11) As recently as of March - April 2020, after the worldwide lockdown was imposed in ~187+ countries thereby leading to an enormous surge in every online academic related activity, Shaw Academy had undergone noticeable transformation in terms of upgradation, pricing and designs layout. The last one maybe made it more attractive and even their quantifiable volumes of emails have increased. Their Facebook page interactions which till recently; non active has suddenly quadrupled may be, because of the simple reason that human online interactions have increased tremendously, almost clocking ~ 90%. It’s a demand and supply scenario.
(12) To sum up in all its entirety, there are every good reasons to look for the good – positive reasons and also there are the flip sides. Now, one has to weigh and measure which are advantageous verses the ones that are not and act accordingly, depending upon the cost factor. It’s not an universal phenomenon, and neither applicable to all course applicants.
(13) My personal suggestion: Like the ‘Life time Membership’ offered earlier, a ‘Onetime’ upfront payment for the all the Module Certificates may again be offered | revived, which would be extremely beneficial in the long run for harnessing existing student participants and taking up every module assignment challenge in right earnest.
(14) Moreover, one would continue learning more and keep exploring newer courses, expanding their respective horizons. A Direct goodwill and publicity (A Word to mouth publicity) will be created.
My own irresistible, passionate drive for learning and also because of my being tech savvy, coupled with high degree of engagement in scientific academic orientations I am privileged to acknowledge that after enjoying a gap of 2-3 months, whereby I was engaged in other online tech orientation I have again enrolled myself for (a) Web Development & (b) Mobile App Development. I am actively considering adding Web Design too since again like DM & SMM the two are interrelated and participative, each complimenting the other.
The Internet is probably exploding by its high level of dynamism and unique possibilities being offered, churning, sharing intuitive, interactive knowledge & information. It depends on individuals what we can and should embrace to enhance our knowledge, beliefs and wisdom! So, choose what you like and like what you choose!!!
I truly admire Shaw Academy and it’s courses (What I had undertaken so far) and more importantly the ‘Contents’ which has helped me at least to explore further. I also acknowledge the fact that within the realm of its possibilities and limitations it’s been a very satisfying and encouraging journey so far. Thrown open lots of opportunities to remain inspired!!!
Thanks so much & enjoy the learning journey……………
N.B.: Whatever opinions expressed in my review are all explicitly mine / personal, without any influence from any source(s). Hence, please do not accrue that kind any benefits or any other gains are associated with it. Neither do I encourage or discourage anyone from exploring, canvassing from any point.